Engage. Inspire. Empower.

Student Services

There are no resources to display

We are making education better for students in Catawba County by addressing barriers to learning and enhancing healthy development. 

  • Student Services professionals, such as school counselors, school social workers, and school nurses, provide services that remove barriers that prevent students from learning. Our department provides prevention, intervention, transition, and follow-up services for students and families. 

  • Direct services to students and families are provided through consultation, education, counseling, and individual assessment. Services may include academic advising, career/post-secondary advising, crisis counseling, parent consultation/information, and referral to school/community resources and/or agencies.  Additional services include Dropout Prevention, College Night, Section 504, Hospital/Homebound Program, and Homeless Program.

  • When help is needed, please do not hesitate to contact your school counselor, who can assist in the coordination of support services.

  • You may request your school transcript online.  If you have a question, please contact Rose Humphrey, Receptionist/Student Records at (828) 464-8333.

School Counselors

School counselors are an important part of our school family and provide valuable assistance and support to all students.  

Counseling programs are typically built on three elements:

Academic Counseling:

Helping students and their parents acquire knowledge of school curricular choices, plan the best program of study and seek post-secondary academic opportunities.

Career Counseling:

Help to prepare students for life after school by exploring their personal interests and talents while providing information about careers, apprenticeships and post-secondary education.

Personal/Social-Emotional Counseling:

Assist students in developing an understanding of themselves, knowing the rights and needs of others, resolving conflicts, setting personal goals and reflecting on their interests, abilities and aptitudes.

School Counselors provide these services by:

  • Meeting with individuals or small groups of students to work out problems and address concerns.

  • Consulting with parents, faculty, staff and community agencies in order to best meet the needs of all students

  • Conducting classroom guidance lessons to provide students with information relevant to their needs and concerns. These lessons could include topics such as study skills, self-esteem building, career exploration, future educational planning, etc.

  • Meeting with small groups of students to meet the needs of a specific population. Such groups may involve students who are dealing with issues such as grief, divorce within the family, friendship difficulties, anger management, etc.

Each school has at least one full-time counselor. The counselor is usually the point of contact when a parent has a concern about special services and needs their child might have. We also partner with community mental and behavioral health agencies that provide mental health services to address social, emotional, or behavioral needs. 

School Social Workers

Our School Social Workers play a vital role in maintaining our students’ academic, social and emotional health. They develop and implement strategies to eliminate barriers to student learning and achievement. They assist students with: improving interpersonal relationships, coping with crisis situations, developing problem solving skills, improving attendance, and building self-esteem and self-reliance. They strive for early intervention and are there to support positive behavioral interventions.  

View your school’s social workers here. 

View the Catawba County Social Workers site here.

Community Resources 

We care about students and families and want to ensure that you have access to social, community, economic, health or behavioral resources you may need during challenging times.  Please click on a link below if you require assistance in any area mentioned.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Is there an agency that can help me find a job?

  • Where can I find food assistance?


  • Where can I find housing assistance?


  • My child needs counseling.  Where can I go?


  • I need to find a doctor for my child?  Where can I take him/her?


  • Where can I get help paying my power bill?

  • How can I access transportation?

  • What can I do if my child refuses to come to school?

  • What does North Carolina law say regarding school attendance ?  

  • What happens  if my child does not come to school?

👉 Contact

Maria Ballard

Director, Student Services

p. 828.464.8333


Administrative Assistant

Beverly McClure

p. 828.464.8333



You can request your transcript online. For questions, please contact:

Rose Humphrey
Receptionist/Student Records 

p. 828.464.8333