Student Health Is A Top Priority
The health and well-being of our staff and students is a top priority for us. We abide by all county, state, and federally recommended steps to ensure the continued health and safety of our students, teachers, and visitors, and we will continue to follow evolving COVID-19 best practices. Students, teachers, and staff who are not feeling well are encouraged to stay home.
Catawba County Public Health’s School Health team ensures that children in grades K-12 have access to preventive and acute health care. Routine health care promotes physical, social and emotional growth of children through the early detection, treatment and referral of health problems, illness prevention and anticipatory guidance.
Healthy children learn better. Public Health’s school nurses work to eliminate chronic health conditions as a barrier to achieving school success. It is their goal to promote the maximum physical, social, emotional and educational growth of children by competently and consistently managing these conditions at school through cooperation between the school staff, physician, parents, student and school nurse.
The primary role of the school nurse is to support student learning. The nurse accomplishes this by implementing strategies that promote student and staff health and safety. The nurse takes a leadership role in serving as the coordinator of all school health programs in the following manner:
- Health Services: Serves as the coordinator of the health services program and provides nursing care
- Health Education: Provides health education to students, staff and parents
- Healthy Environment: Identifies health and safety concerns in the school environment and promotes a nurturing social environment
- Nutritional Services: Supports healthy food services programs
- Physical Education/Activity: Promotes healthy physical education, sports policies and practices
- Counseling: Provides health counseling, assesses mental health needs, provides interventions and refers students to appropriate school staff or community agencies
- Parent/Community Involvement: Promotes community involvement in assuring a healthy school, serves as school liaison to a health advisory committee
- Staff Wellness: Provides health education and counseling, promote healthy activities and environment for school staff
- NC Health Assessment: A requirement for all children entering kindergarten in North Carolina. For more information about the NC Health Assessment, check out our FAQ.
- Medication form for medicine needed at school: A form required for medication that must be given during the school day, for both prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Form in Spanish.
- Special Diet Orders: Students requesting a change from the standard lunch for allergies, gluten-free diets, or medical conditions are required to have this form filled out.
- Individual Care Plan: Creates a plan to manage and lessen the impact of a child’s existing health condition, such as diabetes, allergies, and seizures, on his or her ability to learn.
- Diabetes Individual Health Care Plan
- Food Allergy Individual Health Care Plan
- Seizure Individual Health Care Plan
- A record of your child’s required immunizations, should be given to your child’s school or to your child’s school health nurse.
Please obtain your physician’s signature on documents, as applicable, and then turn the documents into your child’s school nurse.
Definition of School Nursing
School nursing, a specialized practice of nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates optimal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders who bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potential. Adopted by the NASN Board of Directors February 2017.
- National Association of School Nurses (NASN)
To optimize student health, safety and learning, it is the position of the National Association of School Nurses that a professional registered school nurse be present in every school all day, every day.
Catawba County Schools is proud to offer optional health insurance for your student athlete. Information about purchase, online enrollment and insurance claims can be found below.
Optional Health Insurance For Student Athletes
- Online Enrollment Instructions (English & Spanish)
- Optional Health Insurance for Students (English)
- Optional Health Insurance for Students (Spanish)
- Student Claim Forms