Welcome, 9th - 12th Grade Students!
The benefits of a fully flexible, consistent, and rigorous curriculum are remarkable. And... it is 100% free for Catawba County residents!
Our Online Catawba 9-12 program is a flexible virtual program with in-person opportunities for enrichment, tutoring, testing, etc. Students are required to meet certain criteria, including a minimum of a 2.8 unweighted GPA and not having failed any online courses previously. Parents must be able to provide transportation when needed. Please visit our Online Catawba website to get all the details, attend a virtual information session, and submit your application by 3/19 at 5 PM.
What are the criteria to be accepted into Online Catawba in 9th-12th grade?
We want to set your child up for success in our Online Catawba Virtual Academy. Therefore, students must meet the following criteria:
- Unweighted GPA of 2.8 or higher
And be able to answer "no" to the following questions:
- Has your student failed an online course in the last calendar year?
- Has your student failed 2 or more online courses or grade levels ever?
What is required of a parent/guardian for a child to be a successful online learner?
You will have to be able to say "yes" to all of the questions below:
- Will you ensure your student participates in an Online Catawba Orientation session with his/her teacher(s) during the first week of school/semester?
- Will your student have a designated place to do schoolwork? (e.g., desk/table in a quiet area)
- Will there be an adult available to assist and facilitate instruction? (e.g., eliminate distractions, manage time, ask questions, etc.)
- Will you and your student be able to dedicate the necessary amount of time to virtual learning? (e.g., estimated 20 hours per week for general education, more for honors, AP, etc.)
- Will you commit to providing transportation for required in-person activities (tutoring, testing, etc.)?
What will Online Catawba classes be like in 9th through 12th grade?
Recognizing the need to provide both a flexible schedule and the rigorous North Carolina curriculum, our 9th-12th grade classes will have opportunities for screen-to-screen synchronous instruction, as well as asynchronous instruction.
Benefit From Our Online Catawba Learning Labs
One of the many ways Online Catawba is making education better for our students is by providing Learning Labs throughout the district. Our Learning Labs are a physical space for students to:
- Use for optional face-to-face instruction (enrichment, tutoring, etc.)
- Take required CCS and state assessments
- Have instructional interventions, if necessary.
Please note: Parents/guardians/students will need to provide transportation.
What are the next steps?
Find out more!
Attend one of our optional Virtual Information Sessions. Meet our director, learn what your child's day will be like, and ask all of your questions in this live format using Google Meet.
The application window is only open from March 1, 2021, at 8:00 AM, and March 19, 2021, at 5:00 PM. So be sure to apply early!