TIPS FOR A DAILY ROUTINE AT HOME---Jodi Hutto :-)
***PLAN AN AFTERNOON ROUTINE***
1. Student arrives home in the afternoon and have them take a 30 minute break. Allow them to set a timer (Go outside and play, eat a snack, watch TV, take a walk together, etc)
2. Begin homework and work in 30 minute intervals taking a 5-10 break in between subjects. (Get the wiggles out...jumping jacks, run outside, sing songs, dance, etc)
3. Eat Supper...Allow them to help you in the kitchen with preparation, cooking or cleaning up. :-) Or...have them work on packing their lunch/snack for the next day. Supper time is a great time to have a conversation about their day. Take time and sit down together for a family meal.
4. Finish up any homework not completed earlier in the afternoon and pack their bookbag for tomorrow, sign planner, etc.
5. Chores and take care of personal hygiene. (Bath/Shower time, brush teeth)
6. Pick out clothes, jacket and shoes for the next day and place them in a spot where child can easily access them in the morning.
7. FAMILY TIME: Read a book, watch a short movie, play a board game, cards, etc. What did you like most about this day? What would like to work on tomorrow? What are you thankful for?
8. Lights out! :-) Turn the T.V. off and allow their beautiful brain to truly rest.
***Sports schedules and extra afternoon activities are a challenge to work around, but try your best to stick to a routine that works for you. The things listed above are tools and suggestions only.
THE MORE YOU PREPARE YOUR STUDENT AT NIGHT FOR THE NEXT DAY...THE SMOOTHER YOUR MORNING ROUTINE WILL GO!!!
***How much sleep do children need? Studies show: Age 3-6 need 10-12 hours of sleep per night. Age 7-12 need 10-11 hours per night. Growing kids need sleep y'all! :-)