Fred T. Foard is located in Newton, North Carolina. We are currently a 3A school with over 1,000 students. The mission of the Fred T. Foard High School is to prepare students who are responsible, culturally aware citizens and lifelong learners. We will accomplish this by providing a relevant comprehensive course of study directed by a competent and dedicated staff that works with students in a safe, healthy, and challenging environment conducive to learning. Welcome to Foard, where students are encouraged to
School Mascot: Tigers
School Colors: Columbian Blue and White
Year Founded: 1953
About Us: Fred T. Foard is located in Newton, North Carolina. We are currently a 3A school with approximately 1,000 students. We believe that we are “Foard Strong,” and at the core of our strength is Community, Opportunities, Relationships, and Education.
Purpose: Fred T. Foard High School embraces the Catawba County School’s mission statement, which is “Teach, Learn and Lead for the Future.” We also share in the Core Beliefs of Catawba County Schools, which are:
History: Dr. Frederick Theophilus Foard
On October 10th, 1950, 25 acres were purchased from Homer K. Jarrett for a purpose of building a new high school. On January 2nd, 1951, a motion was made by H.C. Henderson, seconded by J.C. Howard, and then the board unanimously voted to name the new high school Fred T. Foard High School, in honor of Dr. Fred T. Foard who was a member of the Catawba County Board of Education from April 2, 1923 to April 1, 1931. He was a great friend to the public schools!
On June 4, 1951, Board members R.A. Sigmon, Chairman; A.C. Henderson; J.C. Howard, Cowles Gaither; and C.M. Barringer voted to direct architect's to begin construction of Fred T. Foard High School. Although other high schools were approved for construction, Foard High School took first priority. The original school covered 25 acres and was to hold up to 455 students--ninth to twelfth graders. The original address for our school was Route 1, Newton NC. The school had one library, one home economics room, two biology rooms, or science rooms, ten other classrooms, one administrative office, two toilets, and one lunchroom. It also had a septic tank and circulating hot water!
Dr. Fred T. Foard was a well-known doctor who practiced in our community for 57 years. He practiced in what he called the Bandys Township or the Catawba County Area. He delivered over 3,600 babies during his practice. He was more than a doctor, he was a family man and a man of education. He thought public education was the key to success.
About two miles south of the intersection of Highway 10 and Highway 127 in the Banoak district is the location of the remains of what is left of Dr. Foard's home. The house was built with towering oaks standing around it (well, they used to stand around it). Now all that stands is the medicine tower that was used to cool his medicine. It is in a empty field where the house and trees were torn down years ago. He had two buildings, his house, and his office, with the cooling tower in the middle. Alfred Baker, a neighbor, did most of the construction on Dr. Foard's home. The house was very sturdy. A traveler who Dr. Foard helped had no money, so he painted two murals on Dr. Foard's walls. One showed the landscape and another was a sea battle. This was done around the turn of the century. The Catawba County Historical Association was able to save the murals, some glass, and other furniture from the house. Dr. Foard died on February 4, 1933. All of his children graduated from college. He was a big supporter of education!
Inside the house, which was two stories, was seven rooms. The parlor was painted by an artist friend. The living room and master bedroom furniture were both covered by leather. There was a large dining room and a kitchen downstairs. Inside plumbing was furnished by a gasoline pump which was located in an old windmill in the back yard. In his office was a bed, for people to sleep if the weather was bad. He owned many cattle, and hogs, which grazed on his land. He lived with his second wife, Mrs. Mattie Foard, his son, Thomas, and his daughter, Helen. Fred Rhinehardt was a foster son. Gus Finger, an elderly black man, and his daughter Mary Finger, lived there also. Dr. Foard legally adopted Gus Finger, and he helped with Dr. Foard's practice.
Dr. Foard never believed in surgery, but he said nature could help anyone. On Saturdays and Sundays, his yard was full of people waiting to get their appendicitis taken care of without surgery. The doctor made a pill that cured a cold in one day! He never gave the prescription to anyone, so it is not available today! He never asked for money, and kept few books. He loved food also. He told his patients to eat little meat, don't smoke, and to leave liquor alone. He would say "Don't do as I do!" He loved to drink moonshine and tell stories.
The Doctor had very unusual ways to cure people. For instance, one time a man had an earache. He would sit in his rocking chair out in the cold on the porch. He put some purple powder in a mug of warm water and syringed the patient's ear until the patient felt like it was going to burst his eardrum. The doctor smoked his pipe and blew it in his ear, and then the patient's ear never hurt again! Dr. Fred T. Foard was buried at Sardis Lutheran Church, and it was the largest group ever assembled at Sardis Lutheran Church.